Thursday, December 12, 2019

The Perfect Natural Skincare Routine For Normal Skin


Hey Beauty Lovers!

I love putting together skincare routines for my friends, so why not do the same for my blog readers?

A lot of my followers and friends love to use natural and cruelty-free beauty products, so I designed a full 10-step skincare routine that will work for normal skin types.

If you have dry, oily, combo, or problematic skin, this routine is not for you. I will be designing routines for every skin type, so let me know if you have any special requests in the comments section.

All of these products are available on Amazon, and the links that I use are affiliate links. If you would like to support this blog, please use the affiliate link, but please don't feel pressure to use my links!

I have used and loved every product that I am recommending in this post, so you can trust that these products are fantastic.

If you don't want to jump right into a full 10-step skincare routine, you can start with steps 2, 4, 5, 7, and 10. Together, those steps will cost $78.68 (based on current Amazon prices).

If you do decide to purchase the full 10-step routine, it will cost $173.57 (based on current Amazon prices). The silicone facial brush for step 3 is highly recommended, but not essential. Without the brush, the routine costs $138.58 (based on current Amazon prices).

Disclaimer: I use affiliate links in my blog posts. By using one of my affiliate links, I receive a few dollars. This helps support the blog since I do not accept money for product reviews. I never use affiliate links for products that I don't actually recommend. If you feel uncomfortable using affiliate links, please don't feel obligated to click on anything in this blog. You will also see that quite a few products have been sent to me for free. As a beauty blogger, I receive many products each month. I test out each product before giving an honest review. I am not required to include them in any posts, so if you see them show up, I actually like the products.

Ok, let's get into the routine!

Natural Skincare Routine For Normal Skin

Don't get turned off by the idea of a 10-step skincare routine! You will not be using all 10 steps twice a day. 

Step 1: Cleansing Oil (AM + PM)

Photo Credit: Amazon

If you have read any of my skincare routines posts, you know that I am a big fan of the double cleanse. It is not essential for a skincare routine (aka if you are short on cash, please skip this step), but it will literally transform your skin! When it comes to a natural cleansing oil, the Era-Organics Lavender Vanilla Cleansing Oil* is fantastic! This cleanser is formulated with Argan Oil, Apricot Oil, Jojoba Oil, and Rosemary Extract. It is perfect for all skin types, so you will be seeing this cleanser in all my Natural Skincare routines. I apply two pumps to dry hands, rub my hands together briefly, and massage the product all over my dry face. After I work the oil into my skin, I add a small amount of water to my hands, and rub the water all over my oily face. This will emulsify the oil, so don't forget this step! Once the oil on my face looks milky, I rinse my face thoroughly to remove all traces of the oil. I do this step twice a day to remove all dirt, oil, makeup, and skincare products. Adding a cleansing oil to my routine has been a huge game-changer! My skin now looks soft, radiant, and clear! I highly recommend adding a cleansing oil to your skincare lineup.

Step 2: Cleanser (AM + PM)
Photo Credit: Amazon

When choosing a natural cleanser, make sure that you are not picking up a harsh product. There are so many cleansers on the market that will strip your skin of natural oils and leave your skin feeling tight and dry. A great cleanser will remove dirt and oils, but it is also formulated with hydrating ingredients. The OZ Naturals Ocean Mineral Facial Cleanser is absolutely amazing for normal to oily skin types. It will help clarify pores and boost the skin with antioxidants. It is not too harsh, and my skin feels comfortable when I use this cleanser. After my oil cleanser, I wash my face with a small amount of this cleanser. I use this cleanser twice a day, and I never experience any dryness. If you are trying to save some money, skip the oil cleanser and only use this face wash. I do recommend removing any makeup before using this face wash if you are skipping the oil cleanser.

Step 3: Exfoiation (1-3 times a week)
Photo Credit: Amazon

I know that this face brush is not considered natural, but it is more eco-friendly than most facial scrubs. First of all, a lot of exfoliating face washes include beads that are extremely harmful to ocean life. Second, a silicon face brush is reusable and you do not need to replace any brush heads. This leads to less waste! I am obsessed with this brush from Sunmay*. Before this brush, I was using the Foreo Luna Mini, which is also a great option (but a lot more expensive). Honestly, I get the same results from both brushes. The charge on the Luna lasts longer, but that is the only difference. Exfoliating your skin 1-3 times a week is a great way to keep your skin looking bright, clear, and smooth. DO NOT overexfoliate your skin! You don't want to damage your skin barrier by exfoliating too often. Exfoliating once a week is enough for most skin types, but you can exfoliate up to three times a week if you build up a lot of dead skin over the week. I apply a little bit of cleanser (not the oil cleanser) to my skin, and then I use the brush to massage the cleanser into my skin. Only press the brush to your skin lightly (trust me, it's working). The brush will vibrate when it's time to move to a new spot on your face. How easy is that? I like to exfoliate my skin in the PM, but it is up to you when you want to use the brush.

Step 4: Toner (AM + PM)
Photo Credit: Amazon

Toner is an essential step for every skincare routine. Your skin needs a toner to get back to an optimal pH level after cleansing. A toner will also help your skin absorb the rest of your products, so don't skip this step! When going the natural route, I love to use a rose toner. There are many rose toners on the market, but I love the way my skin feels after using the Fleur & Bee Rose and Shine Refreshing Rose Water Toner*. This toner comes in a spray bottle, but I do not like spraying the product directly on my face. I find that spraying my face wastes so much of the toner, and I end up going through the bottle way too quickly. Instead, I recommend spraying the toner twice into your palm and applying it to your face with your hands. I also recommend patting the toner into your skin instead of rubbing it all over your face. This helps your skin absorb the product a lot better. Again, do not skip the toner step! You need to use a toner every time you wash your face!

Step 5: Vitamin C Serum (AM Only)
Photo Credit: Amazon

I absolutely love using Vitamin C serums. Even if you don't have hyperpigmentation or an uneven skin tone, Vitamin C is essential for aging skin (that means everyone). An effective Vitamin C serum is actually a really difficult product to find. A lot of serums on the market have terribly unstable formulations and they are frequently too harsh for most skin types. The issue with using a gentle Vitamin C serum is that it works a lot slower than a more concentrated serum. This can be very discouraging if you just started using a Vitamin C serum, and it may cause you to abandon the serum altogether. If you do pick a gentle serum, know that it will take many months for the serum to give you the results you are expecting, This is a good thing though! Slowly working, gentle Vitamin C serums are great for your skin! It is rare to get immediate results with skincare in general! Personally, I use a mildly formulated Vitamin C serum every AM, but you can use one twice a day if the formula is gentle enough for your skin. One of my all-time favorite serums is the Derma E Vitamin C Concentrated Serum. This serum has everything you want in a Vitamin C serum! It is formulated with a stable form of Vitamin C, it contains Vitamin E (which is essential for Vitamin C absorption), Hyaluronic Acid (great for hydration), and Aloe (good for hydration and packed with anti-oxidants). When I use this serum, I apply one pump of the serum to my face after using a toner. Do not skip this step! 

Step 6: Niacinamide Serum (PM Only)
Photo Credit: Amazon

I love to use Niacinamide serums to help keep my skin in perfect condition. I have used quite a few different brands, but I am actually on my second bottle of the InstaNatural Niacinamide Serum*. Niacinamide is fantastic for almost every skin issue, but it also helps normal skin stay bright and clear. I love that this serum is formulated with Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin E, Avacado Oil, and Rosemary Extract. All the ingredients work together to intensely nourish the skin. I like to layer my serums, so I use this serum in the AM and PM. However, if you are just starting to build a skincare routine, I recommend using this serum once a day (in the PM). If you are feeling adventurous, and you want to try layering serums, layer the Niacinamide Serum on top of the Vitamin C Serum in the AM. You don't want to put too many products between the Vitamin C Serum and your skin, so make sure to apply it right after toner. I like to use half a dropper of this serum, and I make sure to apply it to my neck too! If you want to check out other InstaNatural products, I recommend starting with their fantastic serum lineup. This serum can be skipped if you are trying to save money, but make sure to use the Vitamin C Serum twice a day instead.

Step 7: Moisturizer (AM + PM)
Photo Credit: Amazon

When it comes to normal skin, I like to use a lightweight cream for a moisturizer. This way, the cream can be used for both the AM and PM without feeling too heavy under makeup. The Meebak Cica Cream Age-Repair Moisturizer* is a relatively new moisturizer on the market. The company was kind enough to send me this cream to try out when they first launched, and I was blown away with the quality of the moisturizer! The highlight ingredient is Centella asiatica (cica), an amazing ingredient for soothing skin and repairing/strengthening the skin barrier. I find that it is super hydrating without the heavy feeling of a true cream. I loved using the Cica Cream in the AM and PM, due to the amazing ingredients list (Hyaluronic Acid, Niacinamide, Ceramides, and Retinol). You only need a small amount of moisturizer to cover your face and neck, so don't smother your skin with too much product! Moisturizer is essential to the most basic skincare routine, so don't skip this product!

Step 8: Sleeping Mask (PM Only)
Photo Credit: Amazon

We are finally up to the second to last product in the PM! For some of you, this step will seem insane, but you should know that I use a sleeping mask every single night. If you have never used a sleeping mask in your life, you are in for an amazing skin treat! Sleeping masks are super moisturizers that will help nourish your skin while you sleep. You may not know this, but your skin's moisture level fluctuates over a 24 hour period. Overnight, skin moisture levels go way down, and most people reach for night creams to help keep skin hydrated until the morning. Unfortunately, night creams mostly just sit on top of the skin. They are just too thick to penetrate the skin in a useful way. Sleeping masks, on the other hand, are formulated to provide deep nutrition and hydration for many hours at a time. I normally use Korean sleeping masks, but I have been very impressed by the Pacifica Wake Up Beautiful Super Hydration Sleepover Mask. I purchased this mask a few times, and I always have a fantastic skin day when it is included in my skincare routine. I apply a very small amount to my face and neck after applying moisturizer. Even though this is marketed as a night-time product, if you have dry skin in the winter, you can use it twice a day. If you are trying to save money, you can skip this step too. 

Step 9: Rosehip Oil (AM + PM)
Photo Credit: Amazon

You may have seen expensive facial oils for sale at Sephora, but please save your money. The oils at Sephora may have some fantastic ingredients, but you will also get amazing results with pure organic oils from Amazon. My favorite oil is the Radha Beauty Rosehip Oil, but I am also obsessed with their Argan Oil. Rosehip oil is fantastic for anti-aging, fading dark spots, fading scars, hydrating the skin, and making your skin glow. If you want perfect skin, you need to start using rosehip oil. You can spend all your money at Sephora for 1oz of oil, or you can save your money and buy 4oz of rosehip oil from Amazon. I have been using Radha Beauty oils for many years now, and I am still hooked. I like to fill a 1oz cobalt glass dropper bottle with oil to use daily, and I store the rest of the product in the fridge. This keeps the oil fresh a lot longer. If rosehip oil is not kept in the fridge, the oil will go bad after a month. I like to warm 2-3 drops of rosehip oil between my palms and then I pat the product into my skin. This helps seal in all the moisture, vitamins, and other fantastic ingredients that I just applied to my skin. I use oils twice a day and my skin looks amazing! Just a tip: You can also mix 1-2 drops of oil into your foundation for a dewy finish. You can skip this step, but the 4oz bottle will last for many months when stored properly in the fridge. If you can spend the money, I would highly recommend rosehip oil for your daily skincare routine.

Step 10: Sunscreen (AM Only)
Photo Credit: Amazon

The most important step in the AM is sunscreen! I would love to go on a sunscreen rant right now, but I am ready to wrap up this post. Key takeaway: You must apply sunscreen every single day. It doesn't matter if it is cloudy, it doesn't matter that you are staying indoors. UV rays can penetrate clouds and glass, so they can damage your skin every single day. Besides the risk of skin cancer, UV damage will also age your skin rapidly. Unfortunately, most people only apply sunscreen when they are spending time in the sun during the summer. I don't blame anyone for hating sunscreen. Most formulas are terrible. Chemical sunscreens burn my eyes and mineral sunscreens leave a white cast on my skin. Both versions leave my skin feeling greasy and gross. I was so happy when I discovered the Australian Gold Botanical Tinted Face Sunscreen. Let me start by saying that I have been using this sunscreen every AM for almost three years. I have gone through countless tubes, and I purchased every single one. I honestly love this sunscreen. Not only is it a mineral sunscreen, but this product is also tinted and has a satin finish. I am so obsessed with how airbrushed my skin looks with the tint, and my skin doesn't look oily later in the day. Trust me, you need to try this sunscreen. 

Ok! We finally got to the end of this long routine!

Links For The Full Routine ($173.57):

Links For The Mini Routine ($78.68):

I hope you enjoyed this winter skincare routine! If you want to read all my routine posts, check out the Skincare Routines Series tab at the top of this page.

If you have any questions or suggestions. please leave them in the comments section down below. I would also love to hear about your experience with any of the products mentioned in this post!

Don't miss any of my posts, enter your email here to receive my weekly newsletter. You can also find this form by clicking the Subscribe option from the drop-down list at the top of this page. By signing up, you will opt-in to receive a maximum of one email a week with links to my latest blog posts.

You can also follow me on Instagram and Twitter for daily content.

Check out my latest Instagram post here:



XO


*PR/Gifted

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...