If you stumbled upon my blog searching for a holy grail product that will keep your skin looking beautiful, you have come to the right place. I have struggled with acne, acne scars, large pores, and textured skin for most of my life. I tried covering my skin issues with makeup, but if you have any skin issues, you know that makeup is hard to apply on problematic skin. Often times, the makeup exascerbates skin issues. It ends up becoming a vicious cycle, usually leaving you in tears. The best solution for most people is to clear up and smooth out the skin itself with a dedicated skincare routine.
Once I figured out that makeup was not the answer to my skin concerns, I tried almost every acne related skin care kit on the market. Every single one left my skin extremely dry and irritated without clearing up my skin at all. What I didn't realize at the time, was that I had combination skin. Most commercial kits targeting acne are meant for people with oily skin. Oily skin is not the only skin type that can get acne. In fact, if you have dry skin you can get acne. I then realized that I would need to take matters into my own hands.
I researched online about clearing up combination skin. I couldn't find one post that laid everything out, so I had to put all the bits of information together myself. As you can imagine, it was hard work! In my search, I learned the importance of hydrating the skin and the 10-step kbeauty routine. I loved the idea that hydration should occur in layers, and that you can customize every step of the routine. Every blog post that I read stressed how soft and radiant their skin felt after using a 10-step routine, so of course I had to try it for myself.
Of course, in my excitement for beautiful skin, I did the one thing I should not have done (and neither should you). I went to Sephora and purchased all the products I would need to start my new skincare routine, and put them to the test all at once. My skin had a horrible reaction, but because I was using so many new products, I couldn't tell which ones disagreed with my skin! It was a harsh lesson that needed to be learned. I quickly stopped using all the new products, and started adding a new one each week. I quickly learned that there were certain brands that my skin hated, and there were certain ingredients that did wonders for my skin.
The one ingredient that really turned my skin around, was glycolic acid. This alpha hydroxy acid not only retexurized my skin, but it flattened my pimples overnight, cleaned out my clogged pores, and started to fade old acne scars within the first week! I couldn't believe how fast I was able to see an improvement in my skin. I kept bracing myself for the purging that I read so much about, but it never happened. I was left with completely glowing skin. Alpha hydroxy acids in high doses can really dehydrate your skin, especially if you have dry or combination skin type. Thankfully the 10-step kbeauty routine that I've adopted helped me protect my skin by hydrating the correct way.
Benefits of glycolic acid:
Once I figured out that makeup was not the answer to my skin concerns, I tried almost every acne related skin care kit on the market. Every single one left my skin extremely dry and irritated without clearing up my skin at all. What I didn't realize at the time, was that I had combination skin. Most commercial kits targeting acne are meant for people with oily skin. Oily skin is not the only skin type that can get acne. In fact, if you have dry skin you can get acne. I then realized that I would need to take matters into my own hands.
I researched online about clearing up combination skin. I couldn't find one post that laid everything out, so I had to put all the bits of information together myself. As you can imagine, it was hard work! In my search, I learned the importance of hydrating the skin and the 10-step kbeauty routine. I loved the idea that hydration should occur in layers, and that you can customize every step of the routine. Every blog post that I read stressed how soft and radiant their skin felt after using a 10-step routine, so of course I had to try it for myself.
Of course, in my excitement for beautiful skin, I did the one thing I should not have done (and neither should you). I went to Sephora and purchased all the products I would need to start my new skincare routine, and put them to the test all at once. My skin had a horrible reaction, but because I was using so many new products, I couldn't tell which ones disagreed with my skin! It was a harsh lesson that needed to be learned. I quickly stopped using all the new products, and started adding a new one each week. I quickly learned that there were certain brands that my skin hated, and there were certain ingredients that did wonders for my skin.
The one ingredient that really turned my skin around, was glycolic acid. This alpha hydroxy acid not only retexurized my skin, but it flattened my pimples overnight, cleaned out my clogged pores, and started to fade old acne scars within the first week! I couldn't believe how fast I was able to see an improvement in my skin. I kept bracing myself for the purging that I read so much about, but it never happened. I was left with completely glowing skin. Alpha hydroxy acids in high doses can really dehydrate your skin, especially if you have dry or combination skin type. Thankfully the 10-step kbeauty routine that I've adopted helped me protect my skin by hydrating the correct way.
Benefits of glycolic acid:
- Exfoliates the skin (chemical exfoliant)
- Can treat scaring and discoloration
- Anti-aging
- Brightens skin
If you are new to glycolic acid, I recommend trying to incorporate a product with a very low dose into your routine. I recommend the Derma E Overnight Peel 2-3 times a week in the PM until your skin gets used to the acid. If you are used to chemical exfoliants and glycolic acid, I recommend the Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle Pads 2-3 times a week. If you are like me, and your skin can already take some abuse, you can use these products on a daily basis. In addition, I also like to use the Pacifica Kale Water micellar water which has a very low dose of glycolic acid. I use this micellar water in the mornings instead of washing my face (more on this in a future post).
Warning! Glycolic acid can make your skin very sensitive to UV radiation. It is recommended to use an SPF every single day while using any of these products. Please don't undo all of the good that you have done for your skin by going out into the sun unprotected. When I say every day, I mean every day! Even when it is cloudy outside, and even in the winter months!
I hope you enjoyed this post. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them in the comments section below.
XO


5 comments:
This sounds like something I will have to try! I am glad that you found something that works well for you, thank you for sharing!
I NEED to try glycolic acid, thank you for the recommendation!
YES! I’ve been doing peels and a combination of products (bleaching) for melasma and my skin is SUPER sensitive to the sun!
i am always looking for great skin products! ill have to try! thanks!
Thanks for this my is in desperate need of some TLC!
The kale micellar water sounds amazing!
Post a Comment