>> Cushion Foundations <<
While I love K-Beauty skincare, I'm not really a fan of K-Beauty makeup. The only exception would be BB creams and cushion foundations. They provide UV protection, skincare benefits, and some color correction.
I absolutely love how effortless and lightweight cushions feel on the skin, but you won't get more than light to medium coverage depending on the formula. This is a great option for anyone without any skin issues. It can also be a great option for a base layer of makeup. When I need more of a full coverage, I like to use a BB cream or cushion before a powder foundation. It can feel pretty heavy on the skin, but it looks fantastic.
I am super thankful that I was able to figure out my shade for most K-Beauty brands. Unfortunately, most of the BB creams and cushions on the market are as dark as my skin tone, so you probably won't be able to use them if you have skin that is darker than light/medium.
The JayJun Vala Natural Perfect BB Cushion is no exception. I was able to find my shade (23), but my shade was the deepest available here in the US. It is possible that the cushion comes in deeper shades, but it's not probable.
>> Vala Natural Perfect BB Cushion <<
The JayJun Vala Natural Perfect BB Cushion comes with a built-in lip balm, but I ended up smooshing the balm into the package right away. It is now completely unusable, so that sucks. Fortunately, the broken lip balm stays in a separate compartment, so it doesn't affect the actual cushion foundation.
One thing you may notice from the title of this post is that this product is called a "BB Cushion" and not a "Cushion Foundation". Honestly, I would still call this a cushion foundation based on how it compares to other cushion foundations. I do get why they call it a BB cushion though, the formula is a little smoother and more natural-looking than most cushion foundations.
The Vala Natural Perfect BB Cushion is true to its name. This cushion gives the most natural finish of any cushion I've tried. It blends into the skin beautifully, and you only need two dabs to cover your entire face. Just a warning, use this product sparingly. If you use too much product, the color will settle into fine lines.
This cushion is not long-lasting, and I do find that the product moves around if you don't set it with powder. Once set, I do find that the coverage lasts all day. I wouldn't recommend this cushion foundation for the warm summer months, sweat caused it to move around way too much for me.
The cushion foundation claims to be full coverage, but I would say that it's more of a medium coverage. It is really hard to build up the coverage, so I don't think I would ever try to fully cover any spots on my skin. If you need more full coverage, I recommend using this cushion with a concealer or under a powder foundation.
This cushion also claims to help brighten the skin, provide UV protection, and give your skin anti-aging benefits. I wasn't able to notice any brightening or anti-aging benefits, but there is SPF 50 PA +++ to help protect the skin from UV damage. Please do not rely on a cushion foundation for UV protection, apply a stand-alone sunscreen under this product every single day.
In addition to a lip balm, this set also includes an extra cushion. That makes this product a great deal! You basically get two cushion foundations for the price of one! Not all cushion foundations come with an extra cushion, so keep that in mind.
>> How To Apply <<
If you have never applied a cushion foundation, just know that it takes a little more skill than a typical liquid foundation. In my experience, Cushion foundations tend to have a "stickier" texture than a liquid foundation, and that makes it necessary to stamp the product into the skin.
Cushion foundations usually come with a sponge that will help apply the product effortlessly. I recommend firmly push the sponge into the cushion and then rotating the sponge on top of the cushion to help distribute the foundation evenly. I learned this trick from watching Korean beauty gurus, and it really helped me with getting a flawless finish from cushion foundations.
Once the sponge is lightly coated with foundation, start stamping the sponge into your skin gently. Start applying the foundation to the middle of your face and slowly move towards the perimeter as the sponge loses product. This helps concentrate most of the coverage to your T-zone and cheeks and makes everything look a lot more natural.
You can also use a Beauty Blender or brush to apply a cushion foundation, but you may find those tools more difficult to use in this situation. You may end with a streaky or unblended face, but those can be fixed with some effort.
To keep your cushion foundation sanitary, periodically clean the included sponge. You can also purchase spare sponges from popular brands like Missha.
When you find that the cushion is getting dried out, you can flip the cushion over carefully with tweezers. This will expose the bottom half of the sponge and it will prolong the life of your cushion foundation.
Always keep your cushion foundation sealed to maximize the shelf life of the product!
>> Final Thoughts <<
So, should you buy this cushion foundation?
It depends...
If you really enjoy medium coverage cushion foundations, this is a great option.
If you enjoy collecting cushion foundations for their cute packaging, this is not the product for you.
If you are new to cushion foundations and need an easy-to-apply formulation, get this cushion.
If you hate setting your makeup with powder, skip this cushion.
If you have a deeper skin tone, this is definitely not the product for you.
>> Before You Go <<
I hope you enjoyed this review! If you are interested in reading my other makeup reviews, check out the Makeup Series tab at the top of this page.
If you have any questions or concerns, please leave them in the comments section. I would also love to hear from you if you have tried this cushion foundation!
Don't miss any of my posts, enter your email here to receive my weekly newsletter. You can also find this form by clicking the Subscribe option from the drop-down list at the top of this page. By signing up, you will opt-in to receive a maximum of one email a week with links to my latest blog posts.
You can also follow me on Instagram and Twitter for daily content.
Check out my latest Instagram post here:
XO
If you are new to cushion foundations and need an easy-to-apply formulation, get this cushion.
If you hate setting your makeup with powder, skip this cushion.
If you have a deeper skin tone, this is definitely not the product for you.
>> Before You Go <<
I hope you enjoyed this review! If you are interested in reading my other makeup reviews, check out the Makeup Series tab at the top of this page.
If you have any questions or concerns, please leave them in the comments section. I would also love to hear from you if you have tried this cushion foundation!
Don't miss any of my posts, enter your email here to receive my weekly newsletter. You can also find this form by clicking the Subscribe option from the drop-down list at the top of this page. By signing up, you will opt-in to receive a maximum of one email a week with links to my latest blog posts.
You can also follow me on Instagram and Twitter for daily content.
Check out my latest Instagram post here:
XO




No comments:
Post a Comment