I'm not a huge fan of the "guru" or "influencer" trend going around on YouTube and Instagram, but there are a few beauty YouTubers that I enjoy.
Whether you are new to the skincare community or you have been obsessed with skincare for years, you may fall into the trendy skincare trap that is IGTV and TikTok. Please know that most of what you see on those platforms is overhyped and driven by money.
Yes, it is clear that brands are paying skincare "influencers" to promote their products, and you don't need to fall for their glorified ads. There are plenty of YouTubers with fantastic skincare content to choose from, and I am here to help you find the one that is right for you.
When it comes to skincare, I enjoy YouTubers that try a lot of different brands and ingredients and try to give their honest, unbiased review of the products. I will first go through 7 skincare YouTubers that I think are fantastic, and I will then tell you about the 5 YouTubers/YouTube channels that I don't trust.
I do want to point out that I am in my 30s, so my skincare needs are different than those in their 20s. The YouTubers I enjoy are closer to my age, but I highly encourage 20 year olds to start taking care of their skin!
Please keep in mind that if your favorite skincare YouTuber ends up on my untrustworthy list, that doesn't mean that they are bad people. Everyone makes mistakes, and that's ok!
>>My Favorite Skincare YouTubers<<
Photo Credit: James_s_welsh
1. James Welsh- Of course, I had to start my favorites list with my favorite skincare "guru" on the platform! James has an amazing personality, and he loves K-Beauty skincare products. He is based in the UK, so he tries to talk about products that are available in both the US and the UK. James is very honest with his reviews and he provides content for everyone to enjoy. Just an FYI, James has a twin brother Robert that runs a makeup channel that is equally entertaining! On top of that, the twins run a podcast called The Double Cleanse Podcast that is new and amazing.
Photo Credit: Gothamista
2. Renee from Gothamista is another amazing skincare "guru". Her soothing voice and informative videos are everything you need to start your skincare journey. I love that she sticks to K-Beauty as the main focus of her channel, and her aesthetic is so appealing! If you haven't checked her out yet, you need to go there right now.
Photo Credit: beautywithinofficial
3. Beauty Within is one of the most entertaining skincare YouTube channels at the moment. Rowena and Fel will be your new besties during this horrible year of 2020. They will make you laugh while teaching you really useful skincare info. Again, the focus of this channel is K-Beauty, and I love every video that posted so far.
Photo Credit: labeautyologist
4. Nayamka from The Golden Rx is one of my new favorite channels. As a real-life esthetician, Nayamka gives very helpful skincare advice, including the best ways to wash your face! It may seem simple, but most people apply their skincare the wrong way. If you are looking for help with the basics/setting up the foundation of a great skincare routine, you need to check out this channel.
Photo Credit: morganalisonstewart
5. Morgan from The Beauty Breakdown has one of the best personalities on YouTube. She is so sweet and her positivity is infectious. I love watching her videos, most of which are chatty type beauty videos. Does anyone else miss these kinds of videos? I feel like YouTubers should post content like this more often!
Photo Credit: liahyoo
6. Liah Yoo- creator of Krave Beauty is an amazing skincare person to follow. She has pretty sensitive skin, so her recommendations are safe for almost every skin type! I love that she decided to start her own skincare company but still recommends a variety of brands that work for her skin. Don't you just love an honest YouTuber? Even if you aren't sold on the clean beauty movement, I highly recommend checking out Liah's amazing content.
Photo Credit: cassandrabankson
7. Cassandra Bankson is also a new find for me. She is a medical aesthetician with many years of skincare experience. I love her personality, and I can binge-watch her channel for hours! I especially love her skincare routine reaction videos, and I really enjoy listening to her unfiltered opinions on various brands. If you want honesty and entertainment from your skincare "guru", Cassandra is the one for you!
>>YouTubers/Channels I Don't Trust<<
1. Hyram- Ok, this one is going to upset some people. Hyram is a mini James Charles in my opinion. He has some basic knowledge of skincare and skin health, however, he acts like an expert on the subject when he is clearly far off the mark. He does make some great content reacting to skincare routines, but there are a few reasons why I don't trust him, The first is that Hyram is an employee of Youth To The People. This is where he gets the title of skincare expert, but it is a meaningless term. He does not have a science degree of any sort and he has no official training that earned him the right to call himself an expert outside his company. A skincare brand that is very much a part of the "clean beauty" movement. Because of this, he is very biased towards more mainstream skincare brands. I would trust Cassandra Banks over Hyram any day. The second issue I have with Hyram is his lack of response to the whole Susan Yara scandal (more on that below). If you enjoy Hyram's personality and would like to continue to support him, please continue to watch his videos. Just take everything he says with a grain of salt :)
2. Dr. Dray- I have to admit, I used to be a huge fan of Dr. Dray. My reasoning was that a dermatologist would have a deeper understanding of skincare and that she would recommend formulations based on her medical experience. While this is true, I forgot to take into account that a dermatologist would also have a very biased view of skincare. Dr. Dray really only sees patients with skincare issues and the papers she reads are based on skincare pathologies. I do appreciate her stance on fragrance for those with sensitive skin, but to say that everyone should avoid fragrance is simply incorrect. In terms of the population, people with normal skin rarely develop fragrance allergies and sensitivities. She just happens to see the minority of people that develop these conditions due to her profession. I do still find her videos entertaining, but I wish she would actually read more about skincare formulations and new ingredients rather than dermatology specific journals.
3. Susan Yara and Mixed Makeup- Where do I even begin with this one? I am so upset by the way Susan promoted her new skincare brand that I will never watch Susan Yara or Mixed Makeup again. If you haven't heard about the drama yet, Susan launched a new skincare company called Naturium. Without disclosing that she was invested in the company, aka it is her company, she began shilling it on the Mixed Makeup channel and her FaceBook group. She even told her followers that the formulations were better than The Ordinary, which if that's not a conflict of interest, I don't know what to say. On top of this, when her followers asked Susan where she found Naturium, she told them that she was sent the products in PR from the brand! What?!?!?!? She barely apologized for this stunt, and I am so done with her as a Skincare "influencer". What other products were promoted without disclosing a relationship to the brand? I honestly just can't trust her anymore.
4. Huda Beauty- I am really very unimpressed with Huda in general. Her makeup is overpriced, her tutorials are a joke, and her skincare line is embarrassing. I don't really have much more to say about her, but please don't take her advice on skincare. She has no skincare knowledge, and her products are terrible.
5. 5-Min Crafts- The skincare hacks on 5-Min Crafts are outrageous. Not only can you ruin your skin following their advice, but you can also lose brain cells. Please don't watch their videos on skincare related content.
>>Final Thoughts<<
I hope you enjoyed this post and you found some new skincare channels to follow!
The last thing that I want to say is that skincare is a very personal experience. It's nice to see what the Beauty Enthusiasts and Experts have to say, but what works for one person may not work for everyone.
Coming up with a skincare routine that works for your personal skin is a long process of trial and error. Instead of just blindly buying products promoted by influencers, do a little more research and figure out if the ingredients will work for your skincare concerns.
Don't just follow current trends. Find ingredients that agree with your skin, and stick to a minimal routine!
>>Before You Go<<
Don't miss any of my posts, enter your email here to receive my weekly newsletter. You can also find this form by clicking the Subscribe option from the drop-down list at the top of this page. By signing up, you will opt-in to receive a maximum of one email a week with links to my latest blog posts.
You can also follow me on Instagram and Twitter for daily content.
Check out my latest Instagram post here:
XO

No comments:
Post a Comment