Tuesday, March 14, 2017

My Favorite Makeup Brushes



Hey Everyone! Happy Snow Day! I'm happy to be relaxing at home today while Storm Stella is in full force outside. This leaves me a lot of time to write a post about my favorite makeup brushes! I always say that having the right makeup tools is just as important as the makeup, and it's really true. I will be going over the brushes I use daily to help me look flawless with any brand makeup. Let's get started.

Face Brushes:




First up, we have the Real Techniques Buffing brush. This came in a set with a few face brushes, but I use this one the most. I use this brush to buff in foundation, and it does a really great job! The bristles are very soft and easy to clean. If you are unfamiliar with Real Techniques brushes, they are affordable, durable, and really great quality brushes that you can buy at the drugstore, Walmart, Target, and even Amazon. They have so many different types of brushes that you can build an entire makeup brush kit from the brand. If you are looking for cheaper alternatives that are high quality, I highly recommend checking them out!




Next we have the Too Faced Mr. Right Powder brush ($36 purchased at Sephora). This is one of the best powder brushes I have ever used. It is very soft and large enough to powder your entire face. It picks up just the right amount of product every time. It is very high quality and easy to clean. I use it to set my makeup with setting powder, apply finishing powders, and apply blush. I love the cute little bow tie and the light blue/gold handle. It makes me smile every time I pick it up!




Next we have the Benefit Hoola Bronzing Brush ($24 purchased at Sephora). This is my favorite bronzing brush. Besides looking really cute, it is perfect for giving your face an all over glow. I loved the tapered end because it helps me bronze effortlessly. It is high quality and cleans easily. I don't use it for contouring, although it can be used for that purpose. 




Next is the Urban Decay Naked Flushed Brush. This double ended brush is no longer available, but you can purchase the brushes separately ar Sephora, Ulta, or the Urban Decay website. The left end features a diffusing highlighter brush that I use to apply powder highlighter. It gives you a subtle and beautiful glow no matter which highlighter you choose. The right end features a blush brush. I personally use it to contour my cheekbones, but it can be used for blush. I find that it picks up too much product for my liking when I use it for blush, so I use my Mr. Right powder brush instead. The bristles are very soft and high quality. I recommend buying these brushes if you are looking for an inexpensive highlighter or contouring brush.




Next up is the Real Techniques Contour Brush. It comes in the same set as the buffing brush already mentioned. This brush has the standard Real Techniques quality, and I really love to contour my nose with it. It is a small tapered brush that is perfect for my nose area. I find it too small to use it as a contour brush on other areas of my face.




Next up is the Real Techniques Concealer Brush. As you can tell, I really love these brushes! I like to use this brush to apply concealer, although I do not use it for blending as it gets a little too streaky. I highly recommend checking out the face set from Real Techniques.




Last in the face category is the Real Techniques Complexion Sponge ($6). The sponge looks very large in the picture because it was recently cleaned and not fully dry yet. I have used other sponges in the past, but I really love this one. It has a tapered edge and a flat edge that makes blending in every area a breeze. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to the beauty blender, I suggest trying this one out. It is very easy to clean, and very durable (I had mine for a year now!).


Eye Brushes:




First up is a Real Techniques Eyeshadow Brush. I forgot the exact name of this brush (the lettering is all rubbed out), but it comes in the eye brush set. I use this brush to apply a base coat of shadow or powder to my primed lids. I find that makeup applies more smoothly and blends more effortlessly when using this technique. It is a pretty large brush with dense bristles, so I suggest using it for applying shadow all over the eye. The bristles are super soft and won't scratch your lid like some other drugstore brands.





Next up is the Urban Decay Naked 3 Brush that came with the Naked 3 palette. I really love when palettes include a high quality, usable brush. This dual ended brush is perfect for applying all over color (right end) and for pressing on shimmery shades (left end). The bristles are soft and easy to clean. Overall a great brush to include in a Naked palette.





Next up is the Urban Decay Naked Smoky Brush that came with the Naked Smoky palette. This brush is perfect for creating a smoky look. The left end features a smudger, great for applying shadow along the lower lash line, and the right end features a tapered blending brush, perfect for the crease. If you don't own this palette, there are may alternatives. 




Next up is the Urban Decay Naked Basics Brush. This dual ended brush is no longer available, but there are many Urban Decay brushes that have similar features. I love using this brush to contour my eye and smoke out the look. 




I got this Contour brush a while ago from E.L.F., and it worked surprisingly well. I like to use this as a contouring brush because it picks up the perfect amount of shadow and helps blend it in effortlessly. The bristles do not shed and I am able to wash this brush on a weekly basis.




I got this small brush from H&M and I use it to highlight the inner corner of my eyes. It is a very small flat brush that can be used for targeted application. This was a very cheap brush, but it has lasted two years already. Pretty impressed with the quality.




This is a tiny smudger brush from Real Techniques. It also came in the eye brush set. I like to use it for targeted application along the lower lash line. It doesn't blend shadows very well, but it lays it down very pigmented.




The last eye brush is a gel liner brush from Maybelline. I got this as a set with their Master Studio gel line a few years ago. It is easy to wash and has lasted me well past the expiration of the liner. 


I hope this review was helpful! Share your favorite makeup brushes or makeup application tips in the comments below!

-Miriam












No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...