Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Is Coconut Oil Really Bad For Your Skin?



Hey Beauty Lovers!

Have you ever come across a beauty blog or Facebook group that told you to avoid coconut oil like the plague? I have, and it really irritated me. There is nothing wrong with using coconut oil if it agrees with your skin! The rationale behind avoiding coconut oil is flawed, and many beauty lovers are being turned off of an amazing oil that can be doing wonders for their skin.

I decided to write this post in response to so many of you asking me about coconut oil in skincare. There is a lot of misinformation out there, and I wanted to try to clarify a few things. Yes, coconut oil can be highly comedogenic. However, this term just means that it might cause congested skin. This is not true for everyone! If you have very acne prone skin, you might want to avoid comedogenic products. These are the only people I would recommend avoiding coconut oil products. For the rest of you, there is absolutely nothing wrong if a skincare product contains coconut oil!

I don't recommend slathering pure coconut oil on your face, even to remove makeup, unless you have been using it in the past with no obvious negative reaction. Pure coconut oil might actually help very dry skin, if it's not acne prone of course. For dry to combination skin types that do not break out from small doses of coconut oil, I recommend using cleansing products with coconut oil in the ingredient list. Not only will the oil remove all your makeup and SPF, but it will also be very hydrating.

Since I tend to break out from heavy skincare products, I stay away from leaving coconut oil on my skin for long periods of time. This means that I will use coconut oils in my cleansers only. My favorite coconut oil product is the Pacifica Beauty Coconut Dissolve Cleansing Oil Rehab. This cleansing oil is amazing as a first cleanser. This means that I use it to remove all my makeup and SPF from the day, and then I follow up with my regular cleanser to cleanse the skin under all that gunk. Coconut oil is pretty far down in the ingredient list, meaning there is not much coconut oil in this product. I find that this cleansing oil does an amazing job, and my skin has never been so clear and smooth.

The most important thing to remember when it comes to skincare, every skin is unique. What works for some people, may not work for you. Don't listen to generalizations, listen to your own skin. Trial and error is really the best way to learn your skin and build an effective, personalized skincare routine. If coconut oil works for you, do what works best for your skin and keep using it!

I hope this post was helpful! If you want me to go over a specific skincare/beauty topic, please leave a comment below or privately email me.

Please support this blog by entering your email and subscribing!

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram and Twitter.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I completely agree with this! I still use organic coconut oil to remove my makeup and my skin is fine.

Miriam said...

I'm so happy to hear that! Coconut oil has so many amazing benefits including being an excellent makeup remover. Very few people actually get clogged pores from coconut oil, especially when it's used as a cleanser. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...