Monday, March 2, 2020

New at Ulta: Skincare Edition- February 2020

Intro

My New at Ulta: Skincare Edition series is going to be a permanent monthly topic on my blog.

Every month, I will be going through the New Skincare section at Ulta, and I will select a few standout products to talk about. Some will stand out because they look great, others will end up in this post because they look terrible.

I do not intend to insult anyone with this series. If you love a product that I think is "terrible" please continue to use the product! What I think is terrible skincare may work great for you and vice versa. This is only my opinion, so please don't take anything personally. Everyone is different, and we all have different experiences with skincare.

This month will be a long post since it is the first time looking at this section in many months. Future New at Ulta posts will be shorter!

I will also be writing a New at Sephora: Skincare Edition and New K-Beauty Skincare post monthly, so check out my Skincare Chat Series tab at the top of this page.

Exciting New Skincare At Ulta

There are quite a few exciting new products at Ulta at the moment. All of these products sound great, and I wish that I could afford to get them all. Maybe I'll get the chance to review them one day...


Boscia Cherry Blossom & Bakuchiol Resurfacing Lip Repair ($20)- As someone with dry lips, I love the idea of an exfoliating lip treatment with retinol. This concept may not be new, but I haven't seen any affordable brands offer a retinol infused lip product. I usually love Boscia, so I would definitely give this a try!


Boscia Vitamin B12 Hydration Booster Serum ($46)- I love hydrating serums, and the ingredients look great for this one. The packaging is also very cute, so I obviously need this serum in my life. The price is a little steep, but I would be willing to try it and decide if it's worth the price.

Mamonde Red Energy Recovery Serum ($40)- I have been seeing this all over Instagram (you will see this again in my New Skincare Around Instagram post), and I am having some serious FOMO. I know that this was sent to a bunch of influencers through Octoly, so I can't take the reviews too seriously. However, I have read so many great reviews about Mamonde in general, so I am pretty curious about this serum. Too bad Octoly denied my Instagram account. I would have loved to try this! I will probably wait a few months to purchase this serum so that I can read some real reviews. I'm not about to drop $40 on a serum with fake reviews!


Follain Ultra Hydrating Mask: Restore + Soften ($34)- Is Follain a new brand? I've never heard of this brand before, but the Hydrating Mask looks promising. I love flower-based wash off masks, and this mask is formulated with Rose extracts and White Peony extract. The price is a little high for a 2.3 fl oz mask, but it sounds like it will give me super soft skin. This is definitely on my wish list.


Hanskin Hyaluron Bubble Pop Cleanser ($20)- I have been very curious about Hanskin products, but I've never tried anything from the brand. This cleanser is pretty reasonably priced for a second cleanser, and I am putting it on my wishlist. I don't know how effective it is to cleanse your skin with hyaluronic acid, but Hanskin states that this cleanser will give you glowing skin. I'm all about that glow, so sign me up...


COSRX Advanced Snail Peptide Eye Cream ($28)- I actually saw this eye cream on Instagram last month, and I wanted it instantly. I love the COSRX Advanced Snail Essence, so I definitely want to try their eye cream. If the idea of slathering snails all over your eyes makes you nauseous, I get you. I used to hate the idea of snails in skincare, but it is an amazing ingredient.


Peter Thomas Roth FIRMx Collagen Serum ($99)- Yes, that says $99... Peter Thomas Roth skincare is expensive AF, but the products are usually AMAZING! I love the Instant FIRMx Eye Cream, it temporarily lifts the entire area. I am definitely curious about the new FIRMx Collagen Serum. I need to know if this serum will lift my whole face. One day, I will get my hands on this serum...


StriVectin Re-Quench Water Cream Hyaluronic + Electrolyte Moisturizer ($59)- Electrolytes in skincare is very in right now. I have been wanting to try a nice hydrating cream with a boost of electrolytes, and this one looks great! StriVectin makes some nice moisturizers, especially their neck cream, so I have some high expectations for this cream.



Shiseido Extra Rich Cleansing Milk For Dry Skin ($36)- I don't normally recommend buying cleansers that are more than $20, but if you have extremely dry skin, this cleanser sounds amazing. The cleanser is supposed to leave a moisturizing film on your skin, so it definitely won't be suitable for all skin types. Shiseido is supposed to be a great brand, but I haven't actually bought anything from them yet.


Hanskin Hyaluron Eye Serum ($32)- Again, I really want to try Hanskin products. This eye serum is pretty expensive, but they usually last a really long time. I like that this serum can be applied to the eye lids, not many eye products are safe for the entire eye area. A hydrating eye serum sounds great for fine lines, so I will try to get my hands on this serum once I finish my current eye serum.


Follain Dual Detox Mask: Purify + Resurface ($34)- I just used a clay mask formulated with AHAs, and I was blown away with the results. This mask also claims to contain AHAs, and I really want to try it out! It's more expensive than the one I own, but it's not outrageous. If this was a regular clay mask, I would think $34 was unreasonable, but it does do a little more for the skin.


Indie Lee Squalane Facial Oil ($34)- I am not a huge fan of Indie Lee skincare. Their ingredients list is usually terrible, so I was shocked to find this oil.at Ulta. This oil is formulated with only one ingredient, squalane oil. If you are going to get anything from the brand, this is the product I would recommend. Squalane oil is very hydrating and repairing, and it's great for all skin types.


Boscia Vitamin C with Caviar Lime Booster Serum ($46)- I am always looking for skincare products that will keep my skin glowing. This booster serum sounds very promising. It is formulated with caviar limes (resurfacing + brightening + evens skin tone), blood orange extract (brightening + anti-aging + reduces inflammation), and astaxanthin (antioxidant + reduces inflammation + high levels of Vitamin E + anti-aging), and it sounds like a great product.


Australian Gold Botanical Tinted Face Sunscreen SPF 50 ($15.99)- My HG sunscreen now comes in three tints! You can now get this sunscreen in a light, medium, and deep tint. The tint is very sheer, so don't expect any coverage from this sunscreen. It is really only tinted to cover the white color of the physical sunscreen ingredients. For a very long time, people deeper skin tones had issues wearing this sunscreen because the tint was too light. I am happy that they now have multiple tint colors, hopefully this addresses the past issue!


St. Moriz Advanced Pro Formula Tan Boosting Facial Serum ($18.99)- I love the concept of a sunless tanning face serum. I have been using sunless tanners on my body for many years, but they are horrible for the skin on your face. I would definitely try out a serum, and I like the color that St. Moriz gives my skin. This is definitely on my wish list!


Botanics All Bright Bi-Phase Oil ($17.99)- I feel like I've seen this brand before, but I honestly can't remember anything about Botanics. There are a few products from the brand in the New Skincare section at Ulta right now, and they look pretty interesting. This All Bright Bi-Phase Oil is formulated with a few brightening ingredients and I love how oils sit on my skin. I think this product is definitely worth checking out.


MyChelle Sun Shield Liquid SPF 50 ($24)- I've never heard of this brand, but I am so interested in trying this liquid sunscreen! I wonder how much of the liquid you need to get the full SPF 50, but it sounds so lightweight. It's pretty expensive, but I hate heavy sunscreens. I will probably pick this up if I can find it on sale.


Botanics Simply Calm Hydrating Serum ($17.99)- This is another interesting serum from Botanics. It is made with CBD oil and Hyaluronic Acid. I think it will definitely be hydrating, but I just don't think the science is supportive of CBD oil in skincare. I would buy this serum if it was half off.


TONYMOLY I'm Honey Deep Moisture Rescue Mask ($15)- TONYMOLY has a special place in my heart. I used to be obsessed with their products because of their packaging, but the quality wasn't always the best. I'm happy to say that their products have improved significantly and their packaging is still pretty cute. Since I love honey masks, I would definitely want to try this mask.


Fourth Ray Beauty Matcha Face Milk ($14)- Of all the Fourth Ray Beauty Face Milks, the Matcha version interests me the most. I love matcha in my skincare, and the rest of the ingredients seem okay for the skin. Honestly, I think Fourth Ray Beauty is a little overhyped, but I would be willing to try this product due to the matcha.


Formula 10.0.6 In The Deep Vitamin A Nourishing Retinol Serum ($15)- I can't believe that Formula 10.0.6 has a retinol product! I absolutely love their mud masks, so I have some pretty high expectations for this serum. I would love to see how this retinol performs compared to higher-end products sold at Sephora.

Products I Won't Purchase

Okay, please remember that these products may work for you, they are just not for me.


Clarins Santal Face Treatment Oil ($60)- I really want to like Clarins products, but they just make it so hard! Is a Sandalwood facial oil really worth $60???? There are other calming oil options available for a cheaper price.

My Clarins CLEAR-OUT Blackhead Expert Stick + Mask ($26)- Again, I just can't deal with Clarins skincare. This looks so gimmicky and I hate the idea of an exfoliating stick. First of all, it sounds very unsanitary. Do you really want to spread around everything that comes out of your pores every time you use this product? The mask doesn't sound bad, I wish this was just sold as a mask.


StriVectin Full Screen SPF 30 Illuminating Finish ($39)- I am a sunscreen addict, but why would anyone spend $39 on a sunscreen with an SPF of 30? You need a minimum of SPF 50 to help prevent UVA damage sufficiently, so I expect more for $39. Do better StriVectin!


Perricone MD No Makeup Easy Rinse Makeup-Removing Cleanser ($35)- I love Perricone MD, but $35 for a first cleanser? Just buy an oil cleanser or cleansing balm. This is completely unnecessary.


Indie Lee Gentle Daily Peel ($65)- Oh Indie Lee, I really want to like your brand. I don't understand why anyone would spend $65 on these glycolic peel pads when you can get better ones from Peter Thomas Roth for the same price. Also, Denatured Alcohol as the second ingredient????? Are you trying to kill our skin????


Indie Lee I-Waken Eye Serum ($48)- Again, Alcohol as the fourth ingredient. Why would anyone want to apply a product with so much alcohol by their eyes???? Stop using so much alcohol Indie Lee!


Follain Moisturizer: Replenish + Protect ($32)- Okay, this isn't the worst product, but I wish they didn't include coconut oil in the ingredients. I don't mind coconut oil in cleansers, but coconut oil is unsuitable for so many people and it is completely unnecessary.


First Aid Beauty Weightless Liquid Mineral SPF 30 ($34)- Why isn't this SPF 50? Brands shouldn't be selling SPF 30 anymore, especially is they are going to charge $34 for 1.5 oz.


Revolution Skincare Mattifying Cream with Niacinamide ($14)- This is just a no from me. No offense to anyone that loves Revolution Skincare, but I have not seen a positive review for the brand from reputable reviewers. The only glowing reviews for Revolution Skincare have been from Instagram "Influencers" that receive these products in PR. I honestly just don't trust the brand. They pay for their positive reviews and they use a ton of cheap fillers in their ingredients. You can find a better moisturizer for $14 at StyleKorean.


Oh K! Chok Chok Shimmer Face Scrub ($12)- Why did anyone think that this would be a good idea??? I absolutely hate it when glitter is used in skincare. Just no!

Final Thoughts

Even though I'm posting this in March, these were all the new products from February. I already found quite a few new products for my March post, so stay tuned!

I hope to one day get the chance to review everything that I loved in the New Skincare section, but that's pretty unrealistic. If you have tried any of the products mentioned, I would love to hear about your experience!

Before You Go

I hope you enjoyed this post! If you want to read more content like this, check out the Skincare Chat Series tab at the top of this page.

If you have any questions or concerns, please leave them in the comments section. I would also love to hear from you if you have tried any of these products!

Don't miss any of my posts, enter your email here to receive my weekly newsletter. You can also find this form by clicking the Subscribe option from the drop-down list at the top of this page. By signing up, you will opt-in to receive a maximum of one email a week with links to my latest blog posts.

You can also follow me on Instagram and Twitter for daily content.

Check out my latest Instagram post here:



XO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...