Saturday, February 22, 2020

COSRX AC Collection Review

Hey Beauty Lovers!

If you are anything like me, you have been struggling with acne your whole life. When I was a teenager, I tried every 3-step system in the US, but the products only made my skin look worse. I used to think that my skin was untreatable because I was not getting the results from Proactive as the famous actors in the commercials. 

Nothing I used topically worked and only birth control helped clear up my skin. Unfortunately, this won't help everyone, especially if you cannot or do not want to take oral contraceptives. 

So what can you do to treat your acne?

After trying almost everything on the market, I finally have the answer!

The key to treating acne is to treat the skin barrier. Putting harsh ingredients onto your skin will just damage your skin barrier even further, and you will end up with even more acne! Stop doing this to your skin! 

There are so many amazing products that will treat acne and repair the skin barrier, and most of them are made in Korea. South Koreans know a lot about skincare. I feel like they are so ahead of the times, and the US is just trying to catch up with their innovative formulations.

Note: This acne skincare line from COSRX works great for teenage and regular acne. However, if you have hormonal acne, check out this skincare routine instead.

I was so happy to receive the COSRX AC Collection to review*, and it couldn't get here at a better time! I started working out again at the beginning of February, so I have been breaking out all month long. Does anyone else break out after a workout? Thankfully, the COSRX AC Collection is now in my life!

COSRX AC Collection

The entire COSRX AC Collection is formulated with their unique CentellAC-RX complex. This complex contains the amazing ingredient Centella Asiatica in its optimal conditions. Centella is great for acne because it helps treat acne and heal the damaged skin barrier. In addition to Centella, these products also contain exfoliating acids to help keep pores clear. All the products in the collection are great for oily, acne-prone, and sensitive skin!

I really do like the simple packaging for the AC Collection, it gives the brand a fresh look!

Six items from the COSRX AC Collection were sent to me:

Calming Face Cleanser

The Calming Foam Cleanser is an upgraded version of the COSRX Salicylic Acid Gentle Cleanser. The main difference between the two is the addition of the CentellAC-RX Complex. They both contain 0.5% Salicylic Acid, so this cleanser will be great for breakouts.


Since this cleanser is designed for sensitive skin, it is gentle enough for daily use. Unlike traditional Salicylic Acid cleansers, the Calming Foam Cleanser won't overdry your skin. The cleanser can be used on active breakouts and acne-prone skin. The CentellAC-RX Complex will help calm any redness and inflammation, leaving your skin looking healthy.


I love how thick the cleanser feels on the skin. It foams up very easily, and it rinses away completely. I like to use this cleanser twice a day and I never experience any dryness or skin peeling. I really do think that it has been helping my skin heal from my recent breakouts! I love the slightly medicinal scent too.


Skincarisma Ingredients Analysis:
  • Anti-Acne
  • Paraben-, Sulfate-, Alcohol-, Silicone-, and EU Allergen-Free
  • Not safe for Fungal Acne
  • Good for dry skin
  • Bad for oily and sensitive skin (I personally don't agree based on the ingredient list)
  • 88% Low EWG rating
Full Ingredients List:
Water, Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Lauric Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Lauramide DEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Lavandula Hybrida Oil, Pinus Sylvestris Leaf Oil, Potassium Cocoate, Salicylic Acid, Asiaticoside, Asiatic Acid, Madcassic Acid, Disodium EDTA

Lightweight Soothing Moisturizer 

Traditionally, moisturizers marketed for oily skin types are really lacking in the moisture department. Every time I use a lightweight moisturizer for acne-prone skin, I end up layering a more hydrating moisturizer on top. What is the point of that?

The Lightweight Soothing Moisturizer is a great lightweight moisturizer for oily and acne-prone skin, that will give you intense hydration. I was honestly shocked by how dewy this moisturizer left my skin!


The Lightweight Soothing Moisturizer is formulated with Propolis Extract, the CentellAC-RX Complex, Aloe Leaf Water, Niacinamide, Sodium Hyaluronate, Green Tea Leaf Water, and Tea Tree Leaf Oil. This moisturizer focuses on soothing the skin, and it is a great addition to the COSRX acne lineup.


I love to use this moisturizer in the AM as the last step of my skincare routine before sunscreen. Right after application, my skin looks extremely dewy, but the product eventually gets fully absorbed. As someone with combination skin, I love that this moisturizer is very hydrating yet lightweight. It is definitely one of my favorite daytime moisturizers on the market right now!


Skincarisma Ingredients Analysis:
  • Skin Brightening
  • Anti-Aging
  • Wound Healing
  • Anti-Acne
  • Paraben-, Sulfate-, Alcohol-, and EU Allergen-Free
  • Not safe for Fungal Acne
  • Contains Silicones
  • Good for dry, oily, and acne-prone skin
  • Not good for sensitive skin (due to the Tea Tree Oil)
  • 100% Low EWG rating
Full Ingredients List:
Propolis Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Water, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Water, Butylene Glycol, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Glycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Niacinamide, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Cyclomethicone, Cetearyl Olivate, Betaine, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sorbitan Olivate, Panthenol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Allantoin, Xanthan gum, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Sodium Hyaluronate, Arginine, Zinc PCA, Betaine Salicylate, Mentha Haplocalix Extract, Menthyl Lactate, Citric Acid, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Asiaticoside, Asiatic Acid, Madecassic Acid

Calming Liquid Mild

The Calming Liquid Mild is an exfoliating toner formulated with the healing CentellAC-RX Complex. This is an alcohol-free toner that is safe for sensitive, acne-prone skin. The Calming Liquid Mild is a great alternative to the COSRX Natural BHA Skin Returning A-Sol.

The Calming Liquid Mild (shown here) is alcohol-free unlike the Calming Liquid Intensive from the AC Collection, so keep that in mind if you plan to purchase this toner.


If you are looking for a great alcohol-free toner for acne-prone skin, the Calming Liquid Mild is for you! It is formulated with Green Tea Water, the CentellAC-RX Complex, and Gluconolactone (a gentle chemical exfoliant). You can use this toner on the face or body and it will keep your skin blemish-free without damaging the skin barrier.


COSRX recommends using this toner on a cotton pad, but I personally like to apply my toners with my hands. Alternatively, you can pour the toner into a mist bottle for a refreshing treat. Again, I love the medicinal scent, but that may not be pleasant for everyone. The toner absorbs pretty quickly and it doesn't leave the skin feeling tight. Overall, I really enjoy using the toner, and I apply it to my skin with my hands twice a day.


Skincarisma Ingredient Analysis:
  • Anti-Aging
  • Wound Healing
  • Anti-Acne
  • Paraben-, Sulfate-, Alcohol-, Silicone-, and EU Allergen-Free
  • Not safe for Fungal Acne
  • Good for dry and oily skin
  • Not good for sensitive skin (because of the tea tree oil)
  • 100% Low EWG rating
Full Ingredients List:
Camellia Sinensis Leaf Water, Butylene Glycol, Dimethyl Sulfone, Betaine, 1,2-Hexanediol, Betaine Salicylate, Gluconolactone, Polyglyceryl-10 Laurate, Polyglyceryl-10 Myristate, Glycerine, Panthenol, Allantoin, Arginine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Asiaticoside, Asiatic acid, Madecassic acid

Blemish Spot Clearing Serum

The Blemish Spot Clearing Serum is a very nourishing acne treatment. Now that's not something you hear every day! Unlike other acne serums, this one contains a nice mixture of anti-acne and skin-nourishing ingredients. The Blemish Spot Clearing Serum can be used on active breakouts as well as acne-prone skin.


This serum is on the more liquid side, so it does absorb very quickly. It does have the AC Collection medicinal scent, but it is very mild for the serum. The Blemish Spot Clearing Serum is gentle enough to use daily, and your skin may even tolerate the serum twice a day! The serum is formulated with Propolis Extract, Niacinamide, the CentellAC-RX Complex, Sunflower Seed Oil, Macadamia Seed Oil, and Ceramides. It's no wonder my skin has been looking fantastic!


I have been using this serum in the mornings, and I love how quickly it gets absorbed into the skin. The serum doesn't leave a sticky residue, and my skin always looks calm after application. I typically use a whole dropper full of serum for my entire face a neck, and the bottle is still full. I'm not even sure how that's possible, but I'm not complaining! I definitely think that this serum helps treat my active breakouts and helps prevent new blemishes from forming.


Skincarisma Ingredients Analysis:
  • Skin Brightening
  • Anti-Aging
  • Wound Healing
  • Anti-Acne
  • Paraben-, Sulfate-, Alcohol-, Silicone-, and EU Allergen-Free
  • Not safe for Fungal Acne
  • Good for dry, oily, and acne-prone skin
  • Not good for sensitive skin (due to the Tea Tree Oil)
  • 96% Low EWG rating
Full Ingredients List:
Propolis Extract, Butylene Glycol, Niacinamide, Panthenol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glycerin, Polyglyceryl-10 Myristate, Polyglyceryl-10 Laurate, Allantoin, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Sodium Hyaluronate, Asiaticoside, Asiatic Acid, Madecassic Acid, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Sucrose Distearate, Glyceryl Strearate, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Dipropylene Glycol, Ceramide NP, rh-Oligopeptide-1

Ultimate Spot Cream

The Ultimate Spot Cream is marketed as an overnight magic treatment for visible acne. This is due to the inclusion of Zinc Oxide, Calamine, the CentellAC-RX Complex, and Aloe Leaf Water. I do have to agree with the COSRX claim. I applied this cream to a spot in the PM and it was completely gone in the morning!

The Ultimate Spot Cream is an upgrade to the COSRX Centella Blemish Cream. The difference between the two is the new CentellAC-RX Complex, Calamine, and Aloe Leaf Water. This difference makes the Ultimate Spot Cream better at targeting intense, active breakouts. The Centella Blemish Cream is still great for small breakouts and post-acne scarring.


The Ultimate Spot Cream is an amazing spot treatment for every type of breakout! It can be used on emerging acne as well as intense visible whiteheads. This spot treatment may be tough on breakouts, but it is super gentle on the skin. With the inclusion of soothing and healing ingredients, the Ultimate Spot Cream won't overdry the skin at all! This prevents the skin from getting further irritated and discourages new acne from forming under the skin.


So far, I have used this spot treatment on two types of breakouts. The first was a potential blemish, and the second was a white head. I have to say, the cream worked overnight for both types of acne! In addition to calming my acne, this cream also prevented any post-acne hyperpigmentation from occurring. If you have acne-prone skin, you know exactly what I mean! I am actually loving this product the most so far!


Skincarisma Ingredients Analysis:
  • UV-Protection (very minimal- please use a regular sunscreen)
  • Anti-Acne
  • Paraben-, Sulfate-, Alcohol-, and EU Allergen-Free
  • Not safe for Fungal Acne
  • Contains Silicone
  • Good for dry, oily, and acne-prone skin
  • Not good for sensitive skin (due to the tea tree oil)
  • 100% Low EWG rating
Full Ingredients List:
Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Water, Butylene Glycol, Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil, Glycerine, Zinc Oxide, Cetearyl Alcohol, Dimethyl Sulfone, Betaine, Polysorbate 60, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Kernel Oil, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Calamine, Dimethicone, Illicium Verum (Anise) Fruit Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Xanthan gum, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Ethyl Hexanediol, Asiaticoside, Asiatic acid, Madecassic acid

Acne Patch

The Acne Patches are an upgrade for both the COSRX Acne Pimple Master Patches and the COSRX Clear Fit Master Patches. The new Acne Patches are very calming due to the inclusion of Centella. They come in the same three sizes as the Acne Pimple Master Patches, but they are a lot more soothing for irritated skin.

When it comes to Acne Patches, COSRX makes some fantastic options! They will help flatten any acne and help prevent scars from forming. If you know that you like to pick at your breakouts, do your skin a favor and use acne patches!


I love that these patches include Centella. It is very unique, and I think that they work a lot better than the original Pimple Patches. These Acne Patches also stick very well to the skin overnight, and I am a side sleeper!


Whenever you noticed a white head, quickly stick on a patch and leave it alone. The hydrocolloid material will suck out all the gunk from the pore, leaving your skin smooth and soothed.


I only tried the new patches once, and they worked really well! I left a patch on a white head for 24 hours, and it was completely flat when I took the patch off! 

Final Thoughts

Do you need all these products?

If you have acne-prone skin, yes you do.

If you want to purchase trial-sized products to see if your skin reacts well to the new AC COllection, you can get mini sets in Mild (combination skin) and Intensive (oily skin). 

I have always loved COSRX products, but the AC Collection has completely blown me away! I am in love with everything that was sent to me, and I will continue to use these products for as long as possible.

Keep an eye out for my February 2020 Skincare Routines post for the way I order and apply all these products to my skin. Subscribe to my newsletter so you don't miss it!

Before You Go

I hope you enjoyed this review! If you are interested in reading more content like this, check out the Skincare Reviews Series tab at the top of this page.

If you have any questions or concerns, please leave them in the comments section. I would also love to hear from you if you have tried any of these products!

Don't miss any of my posts, enter your email here to receive my weekly newsletter. You can also find this form by clicking the Subscribe option from the drop-down list at the top of this page. By signing up, you will opt-in to receive a maximum of one email a week with links to my latest blog posts.

You can also follow me on Instagram and Twitter for daily content.

Check out my latest Instagram post here:



XO
*Products were kindly gifted, all opinions are my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...